Skip to main content

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy! 




Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners.  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!  

0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had no money to make this video and all they had available to them was the back room of a department store, their instruments, and a groupie. 

0:27 - Here comes the falsetto... Wait for it... Wait for it...

0:30 - There it is!  Listen to those pipes!  I pulled a muscle just listening to it! 

As far as 80's falsettos go, I'd rank Randy Jackson above Jon Bon Jovi and Vince Neil (Motley Crue)... but he falls short of Tom Keifer (Cinderella), Mark Slaughter, C.J. Snare (Firehouse), and Kevin DuBrow (Quiet Riot).  Those four are the Mount Rushmore of gruff falsettos, in my opinion.  And if you thought I could discuss 80's hair metal without mentioning Kevin DuBrow... well, once again, you were wrong.

1:01 - The drummer has a look that says, "I should be the singer, but these fucking jerks stuck me on the drums.  I'm not even going to try in this video.  I was born to sing, dammit, look at my fucking mane!"  The bad news for the drummer: Jackson has huge pipes and an even better mane! 

And judging by the way he's dressed, the drummer apparently tends bar after their shows.  Hey Ringo, I'll have a fuzzy navel and the tiger-lady will have a scotch on the rocks.  Just put it on my tab. 

1:34 - Epic guitar solo begins with some unison bends on a sweet white double-neck guitar, which appears to be (and correct me if I'm wrong) a B.C. Rich. 

1:39 - Drummer does a double-take.  Whoa!!  What?!

1:41 - Oops!  The drummer is shown playing a closed high-hat when we're clearly hearing the bell of the ride cymbal on the audio track.  This should have been caught in video post-production.  As far as music videos go, this gaffe is as big as it gets.  

2:06 - I. Hate. Spiders.  Wait, is that crazy bitch eating the spider?!  God, I love this video!

2:18 - Hubba squared.

3:07 - There, we finally got that whole ride cymbal / high-hat mess straightened out.  The drummer is shown playing it correctly this time!  Bravo!  Now where's that drink I ordered?

3:20 - Jackson unleashes an incredible 5-second wail that will surely land him in my Top 5 "Best Mid-Song Screams By A Lead Singer" List.  Which, by the way, also includes Kevin DuBrow.

Comments

  1. Zebra is great!! After 40 years theyare still together, not many cansay THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zebra is great!! After 40 years theyare still together, not many cansay THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lady in the video, what's her name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder if the tigress girl in video still around, wow 40 yrs ago
    It's still a great song

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family!