Skip to main content

Great 80's Videos ... Aldo Nova - Fantasy


Aldo Nova - "Fantasy" - 1982

RANDOM THOUGHTS ... This is a great song, and I still crank it up every time I hear it on the radio. Great riff, excellent guitar solo, I could listen to this song all day. Aldo Nova's self-titled album is certified double-platinum, while "Fantasy" peaked at #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. The video is a classic, too.

The futuristic intro is about a minute-and-a-half long and it features guns, guitars, helicopters, and lasers. In other words: It's got it all. The plot for this video was so far ahead of its time, we may never be able to fully grasp its true meaning with any accuracy. But I'll try to narrate... 

0:01 - It was a dark and stormy night...

0:41 - Aldo Nova arrives via helicopter wearing a leopard-print jumpsuit. My reaction to seeing this for the first time: (Head bobbing) "Yeah, that sounds about right."

1:05 - Abandoned warehouse. Door locked. Key? No. Try the gun butt. Not working. Damn. 

1:09 - Nova: "Hand me my Les Paul, please? Careful, careful..."

1:19 - Aldo Nova hits a low E string and fires a laser beam from his guitar that disintegrates the padlock (and, amazingly, nothing else). My reaction to seeing this for the first time: (Head bobbing) "Yeah, that sounds about right." 

1:26 - Aldo Nova kicks the door in and hears his own song blaring inside. Lucky for him, it's just starting. OK, wait... so he was locked out of his own concert? 

1:34 - Okay, I see the drummer playing a cymbal there... but I don't hear no cymbal. Matter of fact... I don't hear any hi-hat or anything during this whole song! What the hell, did they accidentally edit that out during mixing or something? Except for a few parts (3:09, 4:52) where there's a crash or some ride cymbal, it's pretty much just a bass drum and snare drum the whole time. I find it very odd that there's no hi-hat in this song, and equally odd that I never noticed it before.

1:39 - I'll give Nova a 8.5 out of 10 as he tries to stick the landing here. Jesus, was he shot out of a cannon onto the stage? 

2:45 - "The man in the white."

2:52 - Nova winks at a girl in the white, but apparently she didn't get the memo that this is an Aldo Nova video... and that he's Aldo Nova... because she could not be more apathetic. 

3:38 to 4:08 - Aldo Nova makes sweet, passionate love to his guitar. There's enough guitar-humping here to warrant an NC-17 rating. Clearly, this is not Nova's first time on stage, because he proves to be well-versed in the areas of guitar-grinding (3:42), guitar-wanking (3:50), and guitar-face-making (4:04). Rumor has it the entire band needed a smoke break after this take. 

Frankly, I would have been insulted if he hadn't humped the humbuckers out of his axe. The thing shoots lasers! 

3:59 - Does it sound any better when you lick your pick-hand middle finger and then tap it onto the fretboard? Nope. Does it look super-badass in a music video? Most definitely.

4:52 - Nova is touched by the girl in the red and is turned into neon (5:05), thus assuming all elemental properties of the noble gas in perpetuity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had