Skip to main content

Dazzling Dunks ... The Best of Shawn Kemp

Welcome to Part 1 (of 3) of our Dazzling Dunks extravaganza! This one focuses on Shawn Kemp. If you haven't had your daily dose of dunks yet, go ahead and have a few. Even if you think you've had your fill, just have a couple more. Go on. You know you want to... 

Shawn Kemp - The "Rain Man" is one of my favorite dunkers of all time. I actually saw Shawn Kemp play against the Bucks at the Bradley Center back in the day. I don't remember what exactly what year, but it was during the Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson era in Milwaukee. Kemp was an established dunker at the time, though, and when he stole a pass at half-court during the game, the crowd was expecting something phenomenal. He had a fast-break with no defenders in front of him, and everyone was suddenly on their feet.

He did a fairly simple two-hand reverse jam, and the crowd was actually a little disappointed, but my point is this: Those few seconds of anticipation as he dribbled to the hoop were scintillating! We didn't know what was going to happen next, but we were ready for it. What's more? That play, that unspectacular, non-memorable slam is actually the only thing I remember from that game. Hmm, you know what? I'm not sure I really had a point here, except that Shawn Kemp kicks ass in the jamming department...


Random Thoughts on the Kemp video... Kemp was a tall guy, like 6-10 or so, but he could definitely fly. There was a time when he was probably the best dunker in the NBA. The #8 dunk in this video, an alley-oop from Gary Payton, a.k.a. the helicopter slam, is one of my favorite dunks by anyone ever. Classic! ... I also really enjoy the #3 dunk (a double-pump two-handed reverse jam down the lane) and obviously #1. The Double-Finger-Point pose Kemp does after he delivers the facial (at the 2:31 mark) is the one of the all-time great dunk celebrations.

Pop Quiz:  Better nickname? ... "Rain Man" or "Big Dog".
My answer:  Hmm, I'd have to go with "Big Dog" on this one. "Rain Man" is definitely a cool nickname, but if you walk into rooms and you're introduced to everyone else as "Big Dog"... that's pretty awesome, and tough to beat. "Rain Man" is a way better dunker, though.

More Dazzling Dunks! 

[Ed. note: This piece was posted originally as a super-long three-dunker extravaganza but has since been broken up into more easily digestible chunks of dunks.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had