Skip to main content

Vikings Moves: McKinnie Released, WR's Added, 'Williams Wall' Remodeled

As the resident Vikings fan on the RATASS Staff, I feel I should weigh in with my take on their off-season maneuvers, so here goes...

MOUNT MCKINNIE RELEASED -  I was pretty surprised when I heard the Vikings released Bryant McKinnie, and I was also pretty disappointed.  I know he showed up to training camp out of shape, but I was hoping they would give him some time before they let him go.  Big men like McKinnie do not grow on trees, and he will certainly be hard to replace.  New LT Charlie Johnson seems like a nice enough guy, and the fact that people call him Charlie makes me like him even more, but I seriously doubt he's the blocker Mount McKinnie was.  I'll miss the big guy, and I'm still holding out hope they re-sign him in the future.   



Here's how the Vikings O-Line looks at the moment (according to Vikings.com):

LT - Charlie Johnson
LG - Steve Hutchinson
C - John Sullivan
RG - Chris DeGeare
RT - Phil Loadholt

Outlook:  Uh-oh.  What was a major strength on the Vikings just a couple years ago now appears to be middle-of-the-pack at best.  I'm sure Donovan McNabb is missing Bryant McKinnie a lot more than I am right now.  DeGeare was a 5th-round pick in 2010 out of Wake Forest (I had to look that up).  With two untested guys (Johnson and DeGeare) facing off against pass rushers like Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, and Ndamukong Suh on a regular basis... I'm a little worried.

VIKINGS ADD WIDE RECEIVERS - Sidney Rice is off to Seattle, and the Vikings have brought in Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashodu to help fill the void.  Both have size (Jenkins is 6-4, Aromashodu is 6-2) which will help complement the speed and shiftiness of Percy Harvin.  Would I have preferred to see Roy Williams (who signed with Da Bears) in purple?  Yeah, probably.  But I believe Jenkins can be a nice big target and help the team out.

Here's how the Vikings WR Depth Chart looks (as of August 9):

WR - Bernard Berrian, Michael Jenkins
WR - Percy Harvin, Greg Camarillo

Outlook:  A top three of Jenkins (the big guy), Harvin (the small, shifty slot guy), and Berrian (the outside burner) with Donovan McNabb at the helm actually doesn't sound that bad.  But from what I hear, they're going to line Harvin up outside more often.  Oh well, I trust that new OC Bill Musgrave knows what he's doing.  I'd have to say that although Rice is gone, this current group has some potential this year. 

REPLACING PAT WILLIAMS - One half of the Williams Wall is now gone, as DT Pat Williams was not re-signed.  It's likely that Williams has played his last game, and he performed superbly for the Vikings.  He will certainly be missed.  The Vikings signed Remi Ayodele, former of the Saints, to help fill the space.

Here's the Vikings D-Line depth chart:

DE - Brian Robison, Adrian Awasom
DT - Remi Ayodele, Fred Evans
DT - Kevin Williams, Letroy Guion
DE - Jared Allen, Everson Griffin

Outlook:  The Vikings front four should be among the best in the NFL this season.  Allen and Williams are perennial Pro-Bowlers and Robison has shown signs that he can get to the QB off the edge.  Pat Williams will not be easily replaced, but Ayodele is 6-2, 318, and will hopefully help the Vikings remain among the top run-stuffing teams in the league.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had