Skip to main content

Awesome 90's Videos ... Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)

Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away) - Live at the 1990 MTV Video Music Awards 

One of my favorite Motley Crue songs.  This is an excellent live performance of the track, which appeared on 1989's hugely successful Dr. Feelgood.  The album went to #1 in the US and sold 6 million copies. Check it out!



Motley Crue - Don't Go Away Mad (Live)


RANDOM THOUGHTS ... Bassist/classic songwriter Nikki Sixx played on the Alice Cooper track "Feed My Frankenstein" in 1991. I just find that to be totally awesome. ... Tommy Lee beats the shit out of the drums, I love it. I don't know if he gets enough credit for being a great drummer, so I'm going to make it a point to constantly mention it to family and friends from now 'til death. ... All the guys in the band are rockin' long manes, with Tommy Lee winning best 'do by sporting a headband, a la John McEnroe. If people don't agree that rock n roll is much worse off without all these interesting hairdos (i.e. Nickelback), they're crazy. ... I've always thought Mick Mars is a very underrated guitarist. The riffs in this track are classic. ... Good stuff from Vince Neil on vocals in this one. I've seen some live tracks of Crue with Neil when he wasn't at his best, but he's definitely at the top of his game here. I dig the way he gets the crowd on their feet during the foot-stomping portion of the song after the guitar solo (3:07). Arena rock at it's finest! 

PLAYING LIVE WITH AN OVERDUB - In my eyes, the most interesting (and somewhat disappointing) part of this otherwise kick-ass performance is the fact that some of the lead guitar lines are obviously pre-recorded and piped in along with the rest of the band playing live. It begs the follow up questions... How much of it are they actually playing? Are they just faking it? So I watched it back a few times. First, the background vocals during the pre-chorus (where he sings, "That's alright, that's okay...") are not live, and that's alright, that's okay with me. Vince Neil is clearly doing live vocals, and Tommy Lee's authoritative drumming is not mimed, but there are times when Mick Mars is seen playing a rhythm guitar part while a lead line can be heard over the top. So does Mick Mars play at all or is he just basically playing air guitar up there? Well, judging by the huge wall of Marshall stacks behind Mars, and the fact he's more than capable of pulling it off live, I doubt very much they turned him off. It appears to me he plays the rhythm guitar parts live and doubles certain lead lines throughout the song. He doubles (plays along with) the intro lick, the lead lines between the verses, and the guitar solo itself. The lead lines behind the vocals during the second verse (1:59) and the outro licks (3:39) appear to be piped in as Mars plays the rhythm parts during those sections. My final thoughts? It still rocks. The song is great, the energy is real, and the desire to rock was authentic. It was either pipe in a couple small parts or bring in a 5th band member for the performance, and I think they chose wisely. In fact, it was silly of me to even question it in the first place. It's Motley Crue... of course it rocked!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had