Skip to main content

Music Video Du Jour... Queen - Don't Stop Me Now


Random Notes: 'Don't Stop Me Now' is the best Queen song ever recorded...

Very few people agree with me.

"Fucking Bohemian Rhapsody, brah! It's fucking Bohemian Rhapsody! That's the number one! I'll fucking waste you!!! Your ass is grass, dude! Eat shit and die, queer-bait! Rrrrrhhaaapsssoddddeeeeeee-luh!!!" some idiots might spit out.

I am biased because it is my favorite Queen song. It was reportedly written by Freddie Mercury floating naked in his bath-tub probably eyeballs deep in filthy bath-water...high on cocaine and thinking about dudes.

Reportedly...? My Aunt Helen!!! Am I right, folks?  That story is real...  

Or, maybe it's completely fabricated. Maybe, I'm confusing that story with some other shit. Maybe, I'm so effed up, I wouldn't know the difference between a toilet and my dinner-plate. Maybe, at a Mexican-person party they throw flour tortillas into the air and shoot guns at them for some reason.

Maybe, I'm sitting in a blanket-fort that I made.

You like my sentence structure, Crinkler?

Hanh...?

I thought so, wiener-breath.

Even a prematurely wrinkled, stone-faced Roger Taylor was probably like, "Did Fred just snort 10 grams? Wow...so...ummmm....hey, a drum-set!!!"

All "speculation" aside, this song has it all, (Sorry, Brian May I know this was, for obvious reasons not your favorite song...) Recorded in August/September 1978 it was a single from their 1978 LP "Jazz." This song features virtually no guitar playing from Brian May or anyone else. The piano-based melody is amazing. It actually seems like Freddie, John Deacon and Roger Taylor have some meaty shit to play around with though. 

Classic Queen/Brian May guitar sound on the fucking guitar solo. 

Super-Electric

This is my favorite era of Queen. Freddie had cut his hair, he had side-burns and had the fucking leather going. He was pre-moustache and pre-AIDS...Queen were at the top of their game. 

I absolutely love the "Leather-Look" from this era. The whole "Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race/Crazy Little Thing Called Love" era.

(Laughing) Oh, Freddie was still wearing uni-tards! I don't want you to think that there wasn't uni-tards being worn! Because, yeah...he was still wearing them and all! It's just, you know, he was wearing a leather jacket over them at this point...and...yup...doo-dee-doo-doo-doo...(Drinks an ice-cold Pepsi)

Some fucking idiot once said: "If there ain't no guitars...giiiittt...um...then it ain't no rock song...! Yeah! Where are my sweat-pants, darlin'? Out on the porch? Shee-it!"

I say: Fuck that idiot.

Some of my favorite all-time lyrics come from the second verse of this song:
-
I'm a rocket-ship on my way to Mars
On a collision course
I am a Satellite 
I'm out of control

I'm a Sex-Machine
Ready to reload
Like an Atom-Bomb
About to o-o-o-o-o explode

Trivial nothingness to the un-enlightened people. 

We who know...know.

I also really like how Roger Taylor's hi-hat goes from tight to loose early into that second verse. It's just one of those little touches that makes this song what it is.

To me, this song is Freddie Mercury. Every lyric and every note. In my mind, this is how Freddie Mercury lived his life.  If some fuck-stick said "C'mon Fred," this song was his response. Anybody who wanted to tell him what to do, or when to quit, or how to be, or how to feel...they got a big "Fuck Off!" 

Why not, celebrate sex? Why not, celebrate having a good time? I know my life is too short to take things seriously. I will never have as much as the next guy, and I don't care. I simply don't care about that shit. 

I enjoy how I live my life, and I certainly don't need somebody telling me how to live it.

That's what this song means to me...

I am Mr. Fahrenheit. I travel at the speed of Light. 

Just try not to get AIDS...that's all I am saying.

So, to Freddie and the rest of the boys: This is probably your finest work (debatable) and definitely an under-appreciated Top-20 hit. If it wasn't a Top-20 hit, then I guess this is more of a tasty, little gem than I realized...and it proves I didn't do shit for research either. 

I realize I am all over the place with this review, but I am on drugs...my back-space button hates me, that I do know. 

And by the way, Freddie could have beat the shit out of Sid Vicious if he wanted to. Fred would have killed him. 

Later Slater!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had