Skip to main content

Grantland Goodies: Great Stuff From Klosterman, Simmons, and More!

Obviously, Grantland doesn't need The RATASS Gazette to promote it's fine writers and content, but I like to pass along the links in case anybody missed them.  Grantland churns out quality stuff all the time.  Here are a handful of my personal favorites that I've read on the site in the past few weeks.  Enjoy! 

KLOSTERMAN'S BEST - Simply put, this is the best article I've read in a while.  Chuck Klosterman, who always has a funny and interesting take, examines the idea of nostalgia and what it means to people.  I'd recommend it to any one.  More recently, he's posted his Top 50 college basketball players of all time, which made me chuckle and guffaw on multiple occasions while reading it.  And I tell everyone I know to read this piece on Edgar Winter's Frankenstein, it's fantastic.  Klosterman rocks.

SIMMONS LETS LOOSE - The NBA lockout still has not been resolved (as of this posting), and if you want to know what the players and owners are bickering about, as well as how to solve it, read this piece by Bill Simmons.  The Sports Guy is pissed.  I mean, seriously pissed.  And after reading his editorial, I'm on his side.  The two sides need to work this thing out.  It can't be that hard, right?  If the lockout has been good for just one thing, it's that it inspired an all-time piece by Simmons.  You can tell he was inspired when he wrote that.  Awesome column!



Also, Simmons was joined by Adam Carolla last week on the BS Report podcast.  As usual, the Ace Man was hilarious and he dished out tons of great material.  Every week during the football season, Cousin Sal stops by to talk to Bill about the NFL action and try to predict gambling lines.  Sal is a writer on the Jimmy Kimmel Live show (Simmons wrote there earlier in his career), so it's always chock full of laughs.

I'm still looking forward to a Simmons vs. Klosterman podcast, as they haven't gone back and forth in a while.   The podcast network on Grantland has a little something for everyone, so check out what they have to offer and chances are you'll find something you like.  

OTHERS TO READ -  I always enjoy reading the Masked Man, David Shoemaker's, take on the pro wrestling universe.  I'm more of a casual WWE fan these days compared years past, but I feel like I can keep up on the main events, and get a thoughtful take on the big-picture of the wrestling world, just by reading his stuff on Grantland.   Here is a piece regarding Hell In A Cell matches that I thought was great, and here is one about the current state of wrestling and the business behind the scenes. ... Tom Bissell writes phenomenal video-game reviews, his most recent being an in-depth look at Batman: Arkam City. ...  Bill Barnwell writes about the NFL and his stuff is smart and interesting, definitely worth a read. ... Cousin Sal writes in the Triangle sports blog every week, giving his gambling advice for the upcoming NFL games.  He's hilarious and his posts are a weekly highlight. ... In short, Grantland is full of good writing, so just bookmark the page and check it daily!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had