Skip to main content

A Jaded Old Baseball Scout's Take On ... Stephen Strasburg

He's old, he's jaded, he's a baseball scout.  He thinks today's players aren't shit compared to Home Run Baker and Three-Finger Brown.  He spews out so many old baseball names you're not sure if they're real or made up.  He mentions obscure nicknames as if they're common knowledge.  And more often than not, he'll start spinning a yarn about some guy he (supposedly) once saw rather than answer your original question.  

So who better to ask about Washington Nationals pitching phenom, Stephen Strasburg?


<




"I don't think he's in the same class as [presumably retired pitcher] Ezekiel Pratt.  The Amish Horse."

On Strasburg's Arm...
" Decent arm.  I'd probably even go as far as to call it a good arm.  But I don't think he's in the same class as [presumably retired pitcher] Ezekiel Pratt.  The Amish Horse.  Big Zeke.  Pratt once raised a barn one morning, then went out and pitched both games of a double-header that same night.  The second game was a no-hitter.  Best god damned arm I've ever seen. "

On the Strasburg Hype...
" Reminds me of a kid a couple years back named Shane Mahoney.  The Canadian Rocket.  He was supposed to be the next Dazzy Vance, but sure as shit, when me and [fellow jaded baseball scout and long-time drinking partner] Smitty went to see him pitch in Moose Balls or some damn town up there, he got knocked around by a bunch of god damned eskimos.  They did have some pretty good fish up there, though. "


"I once gave Mickey Mantle a dollar just so he could wipe his own ass." 

On Strasburg's Big Contract...
" Back in the old days, players got a per diem of sixty cents and they had to buy their own toilet paper.  I once gave Mickey Mantle a dollar just so he could wipe his own ass.  'Course, The Mick used that dollar to buy two women a drink and he took them both home that night.  Then he took some toilet paper from their hotel room.  Yup, that was The Mick, alright.  Boy, we had some times. "

On Strasburg Hitting 100 MPH on the Radar Gun... 
" Shoot, I once saw a minor leaguer named Dusty Sanderson throw 107 with a water-logged ball after a 3-hour rain delay without any warm-up pitches.  'Course, I didn't have my radar gun with me that day, but I know 107 when I see it.  'Course, Dusty ripped up his elbow with that very same pitch, and back then we didn't know Tommy John from Tommy James, so he never pitched again.  Son of a bitch, that boy could throw. "


" Turk McGillicuddy could throw a bumblebee into a pig's ass from 60 feet away.  He was that good. "

On Strasburg's Accuracy...
" He's accurate enough.  But, let's face it... he's not Turk McGillicuddy.  Now that guy could paint the corners like a god damned Picasso.  Had an arm like a god damned rubber hose, too.  Limber.  Turk McGillicuddy could throw a bumblebee into a pig's ass from 60 feet away.  He was that good. "

On Strasburg's Long Term Potential...
" Sure, he can throw, but the question is... can he hit?  If he can't, he's no Buzz Nelson, in my book.  Buzz used to catch on the days he didn't pitch and he could hit the livin' shit out of the ball.  When he wasn't pitchin', he was catchin', and when he wasn't catchin', he was hittin'.  One year, Ol' Buzz went 29 and 4 on the hill, hit .396 with 39 taters, and volunteered full time as a fireman in the offseason just because that's the kind of god damned guy he was. "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had