Skip to main content

2011 NBA Draft: It's Not Just a Bunch of Stiffs

I like the NBA Draft, and yes, I even like THIS year's NBA Draft. Despite what you might hear from the pundits on TV and radio (who have proclaimed it the worst draft in years... decades... EVER!), the 2011 Draft is not just a bunch of stiffs. Here is a great 2-round Mock Draft from NBADraft.net to look at and see for yourself! There's a lot of guys that will make you go "Oh yeah, that guy WAS good in college. Hmm, that's a pretty good pick!" Here's who I have my eye on:

The Texas Trio - Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton, Curtis Joseph.  Texas has produced a LOT of NBA talent in the past decade, and this year just adds to the tally.  Hamilton can really score. He was a chucker as a freshman, but was much improved his sophomore year. Thompson and Joseph only played one year each but both looked very good. Thompson looks like he can play in the post and Joseph has good size (6-4) for a guard.

Klay Thompson - If you watched the Pac-10 Tourney (which I stumbled on late one night and saw Thompson score 43) and Washington State's run to the NIT Finals (which I watched simply to see Thompson play again), you'll agree this guy can really play!

Matt Howard - He is NOT LISTED on the NBADraft.net 2-round mock draft, which is surprising to me. I think we can all agree that he likely won't be an NBA starter, at least not for a while, but how can NBA teams pass on a guy who is 6-10, four-year producer, was an All-American Honorable Mention (2009), conference player of the year (2009 Horizon League), was the 2011 Academic All-American of the Year,  and led his team to the NCAA final game two years in a row? Doesn't that resume justify a 2nd-round pick?

The Morris Twins - Would you really complain if your team drafted Marcus and/or Markieff Morris from Kansas in the first round? C'mon, they're gonna be solid players, right?



JaJuan Johnson - Why isn't anyone talking about this guy as an NBA prospect? He is 6-10, and looked at ease shooting jumpers for Purdue last season. He's also a good free throw shooter. Plus, he was voted the Big Ten P.O.Y. I can't believe most mock drafts have him rated only as a late-first round pick. If I were the Milwaukee Bucks, I would draft JaJuan Johnson at #10 if he is still on the board. 

Kenneth Faried - The rebounding wizard from Morehead State who always plays hard. He will help your team out, no matter where you draft him.

Kemba Walker - If I'm trying to decide between (A) a tall guy from overseas that I've seen only a handful of times and (B) a short guy who was the conference player of the year in the (i think most would say) toughest conference in college basketball, and who I've seen play on national TV fifty times (including big-pressure moments in the conference tourney) and eventually led UConn to the NCAA Title... it seems like a no-brainer.

Jimmer Fredette - If you're an NBA team picking anywhere in this draft and you're having any doubts at all on who to take, here is my advice: Take the NCAA National Player of the Year, who led the nation is scoring, and is a deadeye from long range.

Even if Jimmer doesn't pan out, can people say it was a bad pick? If you're a basketball team looking for a basketball player, he certainly has the resume and qualifications to offer him a job. You almost have to be looking for reasons NOT to pick him.



In my opinion, Utah HAS to pick Fredette if he's still on the board at #12. Even if Klay Thompson is also available and even if Thompson graded out ahead of Jimmer (according to their scouts), Utah HAS to pick Jimmer if he's there! Having a local legend on your franchise can only help your team. The Jacksonville Jaguars whiffed on this same type of decision a couple years ago when they passed on Tim Tebow in the first round. If you want to fill your arena in Utah, pick Fredette.

I Wouldn't Complain If My Team Drafted... any of these guys: Kyle Singler and/or Nolan Smith (there's something to be said for guys who experienced college hoops on the highest level at Duke. I don't think they are as likely to be intimidated at the next level.), E'twaun Moore (I watched a lot of Purdue last year, and he can definitely "score the basketball"), Chandler Parsons (the SEC P.O.Y. looked good enough to me during Florida's late season run), Chris Singleton (was hurt last year, but is really athletic when healthy and a monster on defense), Matthew Bryan-Amaning (the Washington Husky is 6-10 and looked like he had some serious toughness in the games I watched).

Final Thoughts... As you've probably heard by now, there is no "sure-fire" Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant type of talent in this Draft. But I think many fan bases will be happy with their draft picks anyway simply because there's still plenty of good basketball players available. It's all about expectations. I'll be following the draft on NBA.com, and I'll likely have some more opinions after the draft is complete!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "My Sharona" Guitar Solo

THE "MY SHARONA" GUITAR SOLO - Am I crazy, or is the big guitar solo on "My Sharona" one of the best solos ever recorded? There was a time in my life (not long ago, actually) where I'd watch this video 20 times a day. It's the best live performance of this song I've seen, check it out! The Knack - My Sharona RANDOM THOUGHTS... Of course, the main guitar riff in this song is classic. The octave-jumping bass riff heard in the intro is also doubled by the guitar, and it was written by guitarist Berton Averre. I also think the first guitar break (you could probably call it a solo, Mr. Technically) at the 1:17 mark is really good. Today, however, I want to focus mainly on the full-blown celebration of life that is the big guitar solo... THE GUITAR SOLO (2:35 to 4:06) ... ... I'm almost appalled that this song is not mentioned in Guitar World's Top 100 Guitar Solos list. I mean, what the hell?! I'm sorry, but the "My Sha

Top 5 Favorite WWF Finishing Moves ... #4: The Boston Crab

#4: The Boston Crab  RANDOM THOUGHTS ...  Here we see Rick "The Model" Martel slap the Boston Crab on a jobber named Tommy Angel at the 2:51 mark.  As was the case with Hacksaw Jim Duggan's Clothesline , the beauty of the Boston Crab is it's simplicity. Anyone can do this move. Go ahead, kids, and try it on your friends! They'll have fun and so will you. Tip: If your friend starts tapping his hand on the ground and saying, "Uncle," that just means he really likes it and wants a Boston Crab from your uncle, too. So go get one of your uncles (Hmm, Uncle Steve is probably too tall. Get Uncle Jim, he's shorter: Better leverage.) and tell him to cinch it in tight. Your friend will probably be laughing so hard, it will look exactly like he's crying and his back is broken. Fun for friends  and  family! 

Great 80's Videos ... Zebra - Tell Me What You Want

Zebra - "Tell Me What You Want" - I heard this on Dee Snider's House of Hair recently and it blew me away!  It's got killer vocals, a killer guitar solo, and a kick-ass descending chord progression.  And, as you'll see, the video is everything you'd expect from Zebra... which probably isn't much.  Enjoy!  Zebra - Tell Me What You Want RANDOM THOUGHTS - This is the opening track off Zebra's self-titled 1983 debut album.  I've always wondered why bands opt for no album name?  Just make something up, for crying out loud!  How about this: Heaven Ain't For Sinners .  That's a perfectly good album title for a hard rock band, and I've got a hundred of them like that!   0:19 - Enter the mysterious tigress.  As far as I can tell, there are four main elements to this "narrative":  The tiger-woman, lead singer Randy Jackson, a mannequin, and a red door.  What does all this symbolism mean?  Well, it probably means they had